Resources for upcoming game developers. Physical events relating to Nova Scotia, Canada. (Link to xona.com/resources.)
C# / XNA / MonoGame:
- Building XNA 2.0 Games* (on building your own 2D game engine)
C# / Unity:
- Unity Best Practices
- Unity Tutorials (by Unity)
- Save & Load Game (Persistence)
- Game Manager + Singleton (taught in "Persistence" tutorial)
- Pluggable AI With Scriptable Objects (AI state machine)
- Brackeys (on Scriptable Objects)
- Entity Component System (by Unity)
Game Design / Level Design:
- World Of Goo
- Roll-a-ball comparison: well done vs. poorly done.
- Metal Gear Solid* (LEGO level design)
- TUNIC (grey box level design)
- Disneyland (relating to level design)
- Ultima Online (economy)
- Mega Man
- Kloonigames (on "juice")
- Game Maker's Toolkit (on gameplay)
*Credit: Noah Levering
User Interface Design:
- UI Tutorial (Unity; scene selection menu, modal windows, main menu, polish)
- UI vs. UX
- 1974 computer UI
- Diegetic, Non-Diegetic, Spatial, & Meta (UI types)
There are additional Unity Tutorials on UI. Click in and filter the "topic" by "user interface".
- Development Team: designer, artist, programmer, level_designer, tester
- Development_Process: high_concept (documentation), pitch (documentation), concept (documentation), game_design_document, prototype (build)
- Production: game design, game programming, level_design, art design, testing
- Milestones: first_playable, alpha, beta
From "Video_game_development" Wikipedia article.
Social / Networking:
- CGX Meetups - monthly by CGX: Canadian Gaming Expo & Jillian Studio Services (Halifax, Nova Scotia)
- Halifax Game Collective - monthly meet up (Halifax, Nova Scotia)
- FaxJam - annually by CGX: Canadian Gaming Expo & Jillian Studio Services (Halifax, Nova Scotia)
- Global Game Jam - annual global game jam (Volta Labs, Halifax, Nova Scotia)
- NSCC Game Jam - annual game jam (twitter, instagram, etc.) (NSCC, Truro, Nova Scotia)
- Stop Wasting Time (Jordan Peterson)
*Credit: Sam Robichaud
Matthew Doucette has taught video game development in various partnerships:
- Microsoft / Xbox — educated Xbox and indie developers since 2008 while working on his own games at Xona Games and working on Ignite Labs incubator and awarded the Xbox MVP award for these efforts.
- Brilliant Labs — created Kids Make Games under a Xona Games and Brilliant Labs partnership, where we taught game development to K-12 students in public schools as a part of the curriculum using the same technologies Xona Games used to publish Xbox and PlayStation games.
- NSCC — As a faculty member and faculty working group chair of the NSCC Truro Campus Game Development program, with concentration in Game Programming Concentration.
We are connected with many game development students globally and locally, and these are resources that we found helpful for all of them.
Let us know if you have any links to add.
That is all.